Wednesday, July 2, 2014

2014.07.01 - Canada Day

Day 8

Today was my second day of language classes. I really like them, and they are completely at my level. I am in B1 - level 5. This means that I am in the first intermediate Spanish class.
This is my school:


After school, I came home to eat this:
This soup, without the Mexican addition, tasted exactly like Hungarian bean soup (bab leves), which is not my favourite thing in the world. There were bacon bits on the table which I was able to add to the soup which give it a better flavour.
Sopa de frijoles

This is beef in a tortilla. It is probably the most bland food I have tasted here.

After la comida, we went to the down town of Guadalajara to the famous San Juan de Dios market. This is one of the most interesting places I have seen since I have been here. It is very colourful. It has all sorts of things like any market, but with Mexican specialities. There were beautiful hand-made leather shoes, catered to the customer's desires, there was beautiful embroidered clothing, and all sorts of other hand-made items with plants and clay. I think that a lot of Mexican embroidery resembles Hungarian embroidery. A lot of the patterns and flower motifs used are very similar. From the distance, a Hungarian would not be able to tell the difference. I don't know about the Mexican. ;)


What do you think? Do you like it? What do the Hungarians say?

Observation:
I had an interesting experience while here. In my life, I don't think that I have ever seen a cockroach in real life, only on the television. (Am I alone in this?) I told my host sister this and she thought it was so funny and could not believe it. I guess it is more common here. In the shower once all of the water has drained, it is necessary to cover the drain itself to ensure that no cockroaches crawl up. Sometimes the family forgets and then there is a cockroach in the shower. I ask my host sister to go and kill it. One evening, I did not notice but there was a cockroach in the shower and I took a shower with it. It was really scary. But now every time I go to the bathroom I check to see that the drain is covered to avoid any future unnecessary encounters. :)

Namaste,
Cs.

No comments:

Post a Comment